Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Upcycled Computer Armoire!

My daughter loves tinkering with technology: iPhones, iPads, computers, etc.   When I take her to our local library, she often bypasses the children’s books section and heads straight for the educational computer games.  Not one to stifle a girl’s thirst for learning, I found some great educational games at home for our laptop.  Unfortunately, our laptop wasn’t designed to withstand a toddler’s excitement – just ask letters “F” and “E” on the keyboard.  So I had the bright idea to resurrect our prehistoric tower computer in our basement.  Problem was I needed an armoire to hide the monstrosity when not in use.
For months, I was on a craigslist stake-out for the perfect armoire.  Perfect Armoire = close, cheap and would fit in our vehicle.  I hit the jack-pot!  Less than 2 miles away and they were giving it away!  It was free!  It does weigh 900lbs. according to my darling husband.  Getting it in the car and then out was no small feat, requiring two able-bodied men.  Thanks again Travis!  The armoire will remain in its current location for the rest of time!  I heard about this for months! 
On to the actual project, this actually required little work. 


Before pics:

Materials:
Leftover Paint
Painter’s Tape
Paint Brush
Sand Paper
Drop Cloth
The great part about this armoire is that it was bare wood.  No stain or any finish to sand off.  So no prep work at all!  This really was the jackpot armoire.
Steps:
1.       Insert drop cloth under armoire.  This was a task.
2.       Decide on paint color.  I mixed some old paint colors together for some new shades and  
          tested them on the back of the armoire.  I was really trying to decide between white and
          blue.  Blue won!  So, it became a color that was a mix between my kitchen and my
          bathroom!
3.       Painted armoire.  I painted the outside, the face of the file drawer and the face of the
          keyboard tray.  I taped off the rest of the keyboard tray and the drawer to keep the paint
          neat.  I also taped off the bulletin board.
4.       I wanted a distressed look so I took some sand paper to the edges and corners. 
5.       The end!  I still have some organizing and additions planned for the inside so more post to
          come but I think it came out very nice so far!
Voila!
After pics:


Stay tuned for more upcycling on the inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment