Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Baby Food Jars Reorganized, Repurposed and Upcycled to Spice Jars!





Did I mention that I’m totally addicted to Pinterest? It’s completely true. Although, I did see this idea on the blog Mod Podge Rocks before my Pinterest days. Pinterest did remind me though! So, here is my version.


Materials:

Baby Food Jars – from a fellow freecycler (yahoo group that I love!) I used 4 oz jars.

Scrap Book paper – I bought this for another project and didn’t end up using it but couldn’t return it. Who knew Joanne’s doesn’t let you return clearance items?

Mod Podge - I always have this on hand!

Label Maker – I completely love the Martha Stewart one my Mother-in-law got me over 10 years ago for one of my bridal shower gifts.

Primer

Paint

Goo Gone

Scissors
Steps:


1. Assemble Baby food jars. I got mine through a post on freecycle. If you haven’t heard of freecycle, you should check it out through Yahoo groups. In this case, I replied to a post for free baby food jars. Chris gave me 30 jars, for free of course!

2.  Remove labels.  I soaked mine in hot water and they came right off.  Goo Gone took care of the remaining glue.



3. Prime the lids. This step might not be necessary depending on your spray paint but I did it without really thinking about it first.


4. Spray paint the lids. I used a Rustoleum black spray paint.


5. Find a circle to trace. I used a spice jar lid that was about the size I wanted for my scrap book paper. I traced circles on the back of my scrap paper and cut out the circles.




6. Use Mod Podge to apply the scrap book circles to the lids. Apply Mod Podge on the back of the paper and then put another coat over the top. After that coat dried, I applied a second coat over the paper for good measure.




7. Use a label maker and work out the settings so that the label would fit on top of the scrap book paper.


8. Label each jar.



Voile!









I really like how this project turned out. The scrapbook paper coordinates nicely with my kitchen and shelf liner. Our spices are finally organized!

This is what I did with the duplicate spices and the spices that didn’t completely fit in the jar. You would be surprised how much actually fits in a baby food jar.

Above the microwave


I use these baskets in all of my high shelves in my kitchen cabinets. They are from The Container Store but I think you can get them on Amazon too. I’m on the shorter side so it saves me a lot time climbing step stools and allows me to make better use of my cabinet space.


More pinterest projects to come! I can’t wait!























No comments:

Post a Comment