Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Upcycled DVD Case!

It’s time to share our first Upcycle Project for 2012!  It’s a small project but we have more we’ll soon be sharing!


We needed a dvd case to hold those dvds that come with the blue ray combo packs.  That way, we can keep the extra dvds downstairs (no blueray player) and the bluerays upstairs.  Also, if we ever buy or borrow a portable dvd player for a trip we can just grab our new dvd case for the car!
So, we had this very old case from our old tower computer software disks.  The function was fine but it needed some sprucing.



Materials used:
Old Computer Disc Case
Scraps of Self-Adhesive Fabric
Scraps of Contact paper
Double sided tape
Strip of Ribbon
Goo Gone
STEPS:
I had some leftover self-adhesive fabric pieces from a previous project; maybe I’ll post that project later.  It’s sort of like contact paper, only fabric, I had never used it before this past project.  I also had some scraps of plain contact paper and some ribbon left over from other projects.  (I save too many scraps, it’s a mess!)
First, I cut and arranged the scraps of fabric to cover the case.
Then I carefully removed the backing and applied the fabric as straight as possible.  It’s not too difficult to work out the creases once you have it on and it peels off easily for repositioning too.  I folded the extra fabric over the edges. 
Then to cover up the uneven folds on the inside, I cut contact paper and applied it. 
Since I was using scraps of the self-adhesive fabric, I had an overlap on the front that looked a little weird.  So, I used a ribbon to cover it.  I used some double sided tape on the ribbon to make sure that it stayed in place.  I also tucked the ribbon under the contact paper on the inside too. 
Voila!


I also had to clean off the cd pockets.  They had stickers with old program information on them.  I used goo gone and they came right off. 
You could add a flower or a bow to the front to make it even prettier.  I didn’t because I have a 3 year old that would probably think it was pretty too!
So, now we have a dvd case for downstairs!  No more random cases stacked anywhere and we get to keep more movie options downstairs!  All for the low, low price of $0, Nothing, FREE!  All scrap materials!  I call that a successful Upcycle.  It went from unused, to useful and pretty.  Saved from the trash, literally because my husband had it in the trash!   I showed him!


More Upcycle projects to come shortly!  Check in again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment